The complete process to become an HGV (LGV) driver + How Long it takes + Latest Prices
Ever wondered how to become a HGV (lorry) driver and how long the process takes?
We have detailed the complete process from start to finish. At the end of the article, we also explain how long the process typically takes and our current training prices.
- Contact Us – Call, email or message us to discuss what vehicle/course you are interested in. If you’ve not decided yet, we’ll explain all of the options and the type of jobs most suited for you.
- Medical Test – The medical test can be taken at your local doctors or by a private physician. It’s just to make sure you are fit and healthy. (read more)
- Provisional Application – After passing your medical, you will need to apply for your provisional licence. This is free of charge and can take up to 3 weeks for D.V.L.A to process.
- Theory Test – Whilst you wait for your provisional licence, we can organise free access to our theory test training and revision. The HGV theory test is broken down into 2 parts: multiple choice questions and hazard perception.
- Case Studies Test – You will be asked multiple choice questions based on 7 case studies that you will likely experience in your working life.
- Practical Training – Our highly experienced instructor will teach you everything you need in order to drive a HGV. No little detail will be left out, ensuring you are fully prepared to achieve your qualification (view HGV training courses). We have a range of LGV pricing options.
- Driving Ability Test – Now it’s time to put your training to the test. You will be examined on your HGV driving ability. This includes your practical road driving and some off-road exercises.
- Practical Demonstration – You will need to demonstrate certain procedures successfully including cargo loading, walkaround vehicle checks and more. After passing you will receive your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC). You are now fully qualified and can start your career in driving.
- Further CPC training – After every 5 years, you must complete 35 hours of Driver CPC training to continue working professionally. You will also need to renew your licence (every year if you are over 65). (read more)
How long does the HGV (LGV) training process take?
From the very beginning of contacting us to passing your practical test, the process typically takes 6-8 weeks. The time can be shorter or longer depending on situations such as medical availability, test dates and pass rates.
How much does it cost for HGV (LGV) training?
You can view our latest LGV training prices and special offers here.
Ready to begin your HGV driving journey?
Contact LDT today for help and support: